Rizwana Bibi

January, 2011

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

By Faisal Kamal Pasha

RAWALPINDI: A 21-year old woman Rizwana Bibi became the latest victim of honour killing, succumbing to bullet injuries at the District Headquarters Hospital (DHQ) here on Monday. She was shot and wounded by ex-fiance inside the premises of the Lahore High Court (LHC) Rawalpindi Bench on December 3.

The woman, admitted to the DHQ hospital after she was attacked by her ex-fiance Ghulam Hussain last Wednesday, battled for life for five days but in vain.

The lady was attacked when she was leaving after attending hearing in a case regarding quashment of an FIR registered against her husband with the Kalar Syedan police station by her brothers for kidnapping her.

As per details Ashfaq and Rizwana claimed to be legally married when they were produced before the court of a judicial magistrate in Rawalpindi district courts. The judge accepted the woman’s statement that she is with her husband and she wanted to live with him. The couple married without the consent of their family members on their own free will, which angered the girl’s family members who viewed it as against their family honour.

Rizwana’s brothers lodged an FIR against Ashfaq, his brother, mother and his sister for collaborating in the ‘offence’. The couple had filed a case before the LHC for quashment of FIR. The day when the girl was attacked she attended the proceedings in the court of Justice M A Zafar where she recorded her statement and the police also presented a report before the court. However, the police report presented stated that the ‘nikah nama’ which was documented in Bhakkar was fake.

Rizwana’s brother got registered an FIR against Ashfaq and his family with the Kalar Syedan police station on September 8 under Section 365-B.

On December 3, when Rizwana was coming out of the court, her ex-fiance Ghulam Hussain opened fire on her. She sustained bullet injuries on head, lungs, and belly and on one leg. Police arrested Ghulam Hussain and admitted Rizwana Bibi to the hospital in critical condition where she succumbed to injuries five days later.

To read original article, go to: