Launch of the Global Campaign to Killing and Stoning Women!
The Launch of the Global Campaign to Stop Killing and Stoning Women! took place at Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey on 26 November, 2007.
Stop Killing and Stoning Women! Launch of a Global Campaign
Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey
26 November 2007
* Vivienne Wee, Director, WEMC and Associate Director, Southeast Asia Research Centre, City University, Hong Kong
* Dr. Yakin Ertürk, United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women
* Farida Shaheed, Deputy Director, WEMC and WLUML Board Member
Opening Remarks and Overview of the Campaign
* One-minute silence to honour women killed in the past 12 months
* Shadi Sadr, Women’s rights lawyer, journalist, and co-founder of RAAHI Women’s Legal Centre
Women organizing: The Stop Stoning Forever Campaign in Iran
* Victims of stoning in Iran and their families
* Ayesha Imam, Founder of BAOBAB and WLUML Board Member
Stopping Stoning in Nigeria: Stuck Halfway?
* Nebahat Akkoç, Founding Director, KA-MER (Women’s Centre)
“We can stop this”: ‘Honour’ Killings in Turkey
* Sri Wiyanti Eddyono, Women's rights lawyer and Director of Semarak Cerang Nusa, Indonesia
Politicizing Islam: New challenges for Indonesian Women
* Questions and discussion