Female Circumcision - Female Genital Mutilation
Author:Women News Network
Publication Date:May, 2007
Egyptian villagers explain why they circumcise their daughters. This is an excerpt from a television program about female circumcision in Egypt, which aired on Egyptian TV on May 10, 2007.
About 6,000 girls fall victim to genital mutilation every day, or about 2 million a year. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that between 100 and 140 million women worldwide are circumcised. Most circumcised women live in 28 African countries, as well as in Asia and the Middle East.
Tags: Egypt, Middle East
- Death by Stoning - Interview with Anne Harrison from Amnesty International & Ziba Mir Hosseini from SOAS
- List of Stoning Cases in Iran
- FAQs about the sentencing of Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani
- A Wall of Silence: The Limits of Public Discourse in Israel. The Case of Gaza (Feminist Perspective)
- “They Took Me and Told Me Nothing”: Female Genital Mutilation in Iraqi Kurdistan