A father shot dead his 17-year-old daughter, having suspected her of having sex. The girl had run away from home many times, though the reasons were unknown. She ended up in a family protection clinic in Amman. Only weeks before her murder the doctors had tested her and vouched for her virginity. She was released into the custody of her father only after he signed a pledge not to harm her. Despite this pledge, the father still continued to doubt her chastity, and on January 23rd, shot her 4 times in the head. He surrendered to police, saying he had done it for family honour. Autopsy tests proved that she was a virgin at death.
For more information see:
Tags: 'honor' crimes, Jordan, Middle East
- Crimes of Honor In Jordan and the Arab World
- Imprisonment to Protect Women against "Crimes of Honor", A Dual Violation of Civil Rights
- Death by Stoning - Interview with Anne Harrison from Amnesty International & Ziba Mir Hosseini from SOAS
- List of Stoning Cases in Iran
- FAQs about the sentencing of Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani