Zuwayra Shinkafi and Sani Yahaya
Zuwayra Shinkafi (f) and Sani Yahaya (m) (Nigeria)
Crime: Extra-marital sex or “Adultery”
Zuwayra Shinkafi, a young teenage girl was married to an unnamed man and lived in the village of Shinkafi. She was having a consensual extra-marrital relationship with Sanj Yahaya, a teenage boy from Gusau village. A local monitoring group got news of the affair and arrested both of them in Gusau, where they were tried by the Upper Sharia Court, charged with the `crime`of sex outside marraige and subsequently flogged, all within two or three days.
Sanj Yahaya was given 80 lashes of the whip and sentenced to ten months imprisonment, while Zuwayra received 30 lashes of the whip, because she was `not considered mature`.
For more information, see
- Stoning is Not our Culture: A Comparative Analysis of Human Rights and Religious Discourses in Iran and Nigeria
- No Justice in Justifications: Violence Against Women in the Name of Culture, Religion and Tradition
- Advancing Gender Justice: A Call to Action
- Algeria: Concluding Observations of the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (3-21 May 2010)
- Proceedings of the CSW panel discussion on violence against women and girls justified in the name of culture